Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Things I'm Going to Miss 5: My Kids.

Only two more days with my kids. I've had some of these kids since February. I remember starting on page one with them. Now they fight with each other in English and have my accent. They ask questions with a Pittsburgh inflection (which don't sound like questions at all) and they mimic everything I've ever said to them. What are they going to pick up from Britt while I'm gone? It better not be "I seen~" I will be so freakin' irritated if she teaches my kids "I seen."

S: "You need to just say goodbye to them now and accept the fact that when you come back none of them will be your kids anymore. You'll have a completely new set. It'll be like you're starting over."

I know he's right and it sucks. I want to punch him in the face. Mostly 'cause I can't punch the one I want to, and I feel like Shadow will be more forgiving. Not that he wouldn't be pissed.

Ruby has been trying to take Britt's classes from her for a while now, because she doesn't think she can control them and I've felt her eyeing up my kids. This would be the perfect opportunity to cycle the classes around. I don't want any of Britt's kids. I like mine. Though I have a hard time believing that this new teacher in January isn't going to be replacing someone. And I think I know which one of us is the weakest link. It ain't me. I'll be back fresh from the States.

I really care about each one of my students and losing even a single one would just be a crappy way to start up my new contract. I know they'll miss me while I'm gone, but by the time I get back, they will have adjusted to the change. Kids are notoriously resilient. I should be happy getting even one back.

Shadow's right. I gotta let 'em go. They're not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment