I showed up today at 1:45, let myself in and settled into the counter to get some work done before the superiors showed up. Once they make their appearance all work comes to a standstill. I don't take my work home, so I was hustling hardcore to get it all done before anyone showed up to slow down the day.
I didn't notice anything suspicious until about 4pm when the phone rang and I realized I haven't been trained for situations like these. What am I supposed to do when the phone rings. Blank Stare to the rescue. Do that long enough and eventually it will stop ringing.
Why am I still the only person here? Where is everyone? It's the middle of the school day, for crying out loud. Then I start thinking maybe today was a holiday, too. Maybe Jenn's waiting at home for me right now, but no one can get in touch with me. Why didn't I ever ask about potential situations like that?
I decide to wait it out and see if the Sisters show up for class. At 5pm Sister2 walks in. So somebody else missed the memo about New School being on holiday, too, huh? An hour later, in walks Sister3 and then 60 minutes after that is PandPGirl. So I'm left to conclude that I am in fact in the right place. Alone. I really am New School. After PandPGirl I assumed it would be cool if I left. She walks me out and we try to figure out how to turn on the lights out in the hallway. We find the switches, but none of them work. Why would they? There have only been 4 people on this floor all day. Lighting a floor is expensive.
I was so thankful that I attached Zack Effron to my keys, because I wasn't entirely sure on the procedure for locking up the school and I couldn't see 2 inches in front of my face. PandPGirl ended up calling the director and asking and then she hands me the phone.
R: "Erin!"
E: "Uh, yes? Hello?"
R: "Erin, we won't be able to come to New School. Harry Potter Girl and her mom are here, so we cannot get away."
E: "Oh. That's too bad."
R: "Did you get dinner? You can go home now."
E: "Okay, see you tomorrow."
I was a little confused when I hung up, but turns out I no longer have HPGirl. Jenn got her. Guess I just get all the luck. Now HPGirl has 2.5 hours of private lessons a day. I win. Even though I had just finished writing questions for the first 4.5 chapters...
So on the way out the door I'm still a little amazed that I did it. I'm the youngest teacher here by at least 3 years and they gave me a school. They gave me a key, tested me out and then just gave me the school. Now that's trust. I really am the winner.
Then PandPGirl turns to me and says "My mom wants to drive you home if that's okay." Sure that's okay. It's mega freezing outside. Your mom doesn't scare me at all...
I don't even think I know exactly how to give directions to my home in the states to someone who speaks english. How on earth was I going to explain the roundabout way I get to school. I've never even had to walk myself home before. I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but I saw a 50 bus stop and I knew what to do. The 50 has always been good to me. Except for that time it took me to the mountains and left me standing in the snow for half an hour. That sucked.
But at least I got home. That's what counts, right? And I did it. I successfully survived on my own in New School. Too bad the other teachers had all 3 siblings today. Ha. Ha.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment