I finally made the attempt to walk myself to school today. Success. Only took 15 minutes. I didn't get lost once, good thing, too, since I definitely hadn't planned in any time for that.
Not that it mattered. I walked up the steps and down the scary glass hallway only to arrive at a dark school. What the H? Where is everyone? I decided to wait around for a little bit, see if anyone showed up. Listen to me, "decided"? As if there was anything else I could've done. Why aren't the hallways heated or lit? That was the coldest 90 minutes ever. By the time they showed up, I had convinced myself that they must have sent me an email telling me to go to the Old School. I was on the point of walking back home to check my email, stood up and there they were. Ruby apologized profusely and rushed to open the door. She set the alarm off and out come the security guards. I'm sure they were already suspicious. They had probably already been watching this foreigner loitering for an hour and a half.
I can't be entirely sure what the guard said to them, but it resulted in me being handed a key and the code to the school. They don't know how often they're going to be able to show up on time and this will allow me to avoid any scary yelling guard situations in the future. Talk about putting faith in a teacher. Anyone else get a key? Nope. Just this kid.
Grunter took me out for lunch again and I decided over the tuna fried rice and bibimbop that I was going to stop calling her Grunter. Maybe I'm just being brainwashed, but I kinda like her now. And, no, it's not just cause she's saving me money. She's just nice. Any suggestions for a name change?
Overall tuesday/thursdays are super easy. Just the Sisters back to back and then I get to go home. I can't do any work after that since they keep turning the computer off, but I do like getting home before 9pm. Sure beats getting home at 11. Because it was pouring I got a ride home, too. It wouldn't have mattered if I had walked though, since I have the Milk Lady's umbrella. Man, is it swanky.
I can't wait to get back to Old School tomorrow, though, 'cause I am going through some serious Old School withdrawal. I miss looking up and having someone to talk to. Now I just sit in my March classroom with the heater on talking to myself. Not nearly as satisfying.
On the way home:
E: "What time should I be in tomorrow?"
G: "Whenever you want to."
I'm torn between trying to see how late I can show up before I get into trouble and showing up early to get some extra work done. Judging from the last 3 days, I won't be able to finish up work before the weekend if I don't do it before they get there.
At least I'll be back at Old School when it's time to celebrate yet another Friday Successful Completion Party. I was worried I'd have to bus it back over to hang out.
No worries.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Im thinking Grunter could either be called Benefactor....or...SM for Sugar Momma...lol ;P
ReplyDelete