Saturday, April 24, 2010

Seoul With Boys' Team.



^^That's Renee, the Prez, his Lady and me, right there.^^

I wasn't sure yesterday if I was going to be leaving for Seoul this morning or last night, but since Boys' Team was going anyway, I tagged along with them totally last minute. I met them at the bus station at about 1am and we bought our tickets (together, at the same time) for our 1:30 bus. I was feeling pretty good since my ticket was looking like the one that would be by itself. I would hate to have to sleep right up in someone's face- especially someone I know.

I get on the bus, and, turns out, I was right. It was definitely the seat by itself. Except someone was already sitting in it... I look down and see that the woman at the counter had given me the wrong date. How was that possible?! The three of us bought our tickets at the same time. Since we were some of the last people on the bus, I had to run back inside to change my ticket in the 6 minutes before the bus took off. It seemed like a pretty close call, but I think I was just panicking.

After a fun bus ride (California was sitting right in front of a belligerent drunk) we got off in Seoul and found ourselves a cab. Even though I have been to this hostel twice already, I had no idea how to get there and it didn't help that I had never tried to catch a cab in Seoul before. Luckily, California's a champ. He had a phone number for the place, an address and everything. The cabbie talked away (in korean, english, chinese and japanese) while New Guy and I nodded off in the backseat.

By the way, I hadn't called this place ahead of time, but the boys were expected. I just figured I could crash on Teresa and Renee's floor if need be. So I was able to chuckle at the face that the hostel guy was making as he watched one too many people get out of this cab.

Joke was on us. Apparently California was none too specific on the gender of his "couple" and he and New Guy ended up with a queen bed. Hostel guy wouldn't let me in to bunk with the girls since it was pretty late and he thought it would be rude to wake them. He showed us the room and there was at least 3 minutes of awkward standing around while the boys tried to figure out what to do here. Tired, I finally admitted that I wouldn't mind having the bed all to myself- in fact, I'd prefer it. I had no problem with both of them sleeping on the floor. That whipped them into action.

So the three of us ended up rock paper scissoring for the bed- I offered to take the floor, but the boys wanted it to be fair. It was already after 5, so its not like any of us were going to be missing out on a good night's sleep by losing the bed.

After three hours of sleep I got up to go find Teresa and Renee. They actually had an extra bed in their room, so I could've probably called them, but there's just something about waking someone up at 5 am. Seems dangerous.


Now you see why they call it the Blue House?





We headed out for our tours of the Blue House and one of the palaces. It was pretty sweet. The Blue House was a free tour that came with a free mug. A free swanky mug.







That's Teresa.






The palace one was nice too, but it was hard to figure out what that woman was saying. There were just too many waygookin getting in the way.




After the tours we went to meet up with Boys' Team for our 7 o'clock dinner date at On The Border. We were a half hour early, so we started with the margaritas and nachos. Gradually we worked our way into the main course and that's right about the time that the boys showed up. They were an hour and a half late 'cause they had to get pretty. Pretty nothing. For an hour and a half, we were expecting tiaras. They always kinda look the same to me.


I was worried that the two groups wouldn't mesh, and as the time ticked on by, the anxiety grew. I shouldn't have worried. It was no biggie. Which is good, cause now that Girls' Team has been kicked, I really need all of my friends to kind of get along. We picked a team name for us ladies: Team Awesome. I like it.

We headed back to the hostel to party it up with our new hostel friends and followed them to the bars to make some more friends. I made a friend, too. Nobody helped me. She was too afraid to go to the bathroom alone and, at first, I was kind of irritated.

She had good reason to be scared. It was gross. Like black-mold-and-spit gross. The bathroom was rancid, but I made a new friend.

California and New Guy like the hostel. I'm glad one of my recommendations panned out.

I actually enjoy working in Korea and meeting up with other waygookin. Especially the part where they tell us how bad they have it. I really love that part.


I am definitely staying another year. This place just rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment