Even when I take them off and try the whole "Mienhamnida..." ("sorry...") it's like they just think that I am being polite by looking at them while they are speaking. My neighbor walked by me in the hall today and I was surprised when she suddenly grabbed my wrist and started shaking my hand while speaking excitedly in rapid Korean. I started with Dead Face when she first grabbed my hand just because she caught me by surprise. From Dead Face I quickly moved through Blank Stare, Mienhamnida, Listening Face, and in the end just fell back on Goofy Smile + Head Nod. That seemed to do the trick. This woman- maybe 70 or so- got really excited and started getting really close to me while speaking faster and faster. By the time she let go of my wrist I was a little glad that I still don't understand the language, yet. Her face told me that whatever she was saying was meaningful and awesome and I worry that if I understood I might find out that it wasn't that great after all. It was a pretty great start to my school day, though. I hope I run into that neighbor lady again someday soon.
Christina and Yuunji came over to party again and brought my box. It was packed full with candy, a photo uploader, Steelers stickers, and a fresh laptop battery along with other goodies. Now I can upload pictures again and Christina loved all of the little things that she got out of the box (Sarris Candies, mostly, and a book mark.)
She spent a lot of time teaching me the Korean vowels and even made me read her a bed time story. IN KOREAN. That Little Prince I bought last week? She made me read her the first half a page- which took almost 10 minutes- and made me promise to practice so that the story will go faster next time. Even I could tell that it sounded pretty awful.
But I'll practice and next time tell it right. Everyone should know how awesome that story is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment