Monday, March 1, 2010

Better Than Having a Snow Day on My Birthday.

I don't think I've had to go to school on my birthday since my sophomore year in highschool. Three snow days and great scheduling had given me the day off 6 years in a row. So I was not looking forward to having to work on monday, March 1.


I shouldn't have worried about it. South Korea sure knows how to celebrate a girl's birthday. March One in Korea is a National Holiday. So if I had grown up in Korea, I would never have had to spend my Februarys praying for a March 1 snow day. I wouldn't have been expected to go to school or work on my birthday ever. Birthday celebrations would never cut into my sick days and I'd never have to try to fake a sore throat. Maybe I'll stay here a few more years.

It was a pretty low-key day. I'm not really one for big birthday celebrations and this was exactly the kind of birthday I was hoping for. It was definitely one of the better ones.

Christina came over to hang out since we hadn't seen her in a while and she decided that we should have pizza for dinner. After having pizza everyday that weekend, starting with Friday, it would be totally understandable if I wasn't feeling it. I was, though, I freaking love pizza. I really could eat it every day and it will never get old. Christina paid for it after she found out it was my big day.

It was weird pizza, though. It had sweet potato paste drawn across the top and ham all over one side. Christina was pretty miffed to find the pig on the pizza since she had specifically asked for it pig free. So what happened? What else. Christina sat and picked all the pork off my dinner. That girl was not satisfied until she got every last pig bit off of that slice. Just wouldn't be a Girl's Team celebration without Christina fixing my food.

Christina is a new true member of Girl's Team. 'Bout time we started evening out these teams. Any new teachers at New School will be Girl's Team as well- regardless of gender.

An excellent birthday weekend; a cake and small gathering yesterday and a pizza and pair of socks today. That's what those socks in the picture are about. They are Shin Ramen socks. I eat ramen everyday and Shin is my favorite. "It's not a birthday present, just your Seoul Souvenir."- Jenn.

I forgot to mention that we were sitting in the dark when Christina showed up tonight. After Ruby said something to Jenn about coming into school this morning we decided that lights were waaay too risky. Yes, today was a holiday, but Jenn is starting at the New School on Tuesday so she will need to come in and prepare for classes. Jenn gave her polite HELL NO, but we were still not sure if they'd do another ambush visit or not, so we were sitting around in the dark all day. These people are too shady for lights.

And poor Christina thought she got the wrong floor and went down to 6 to try that door. It might be time for me to invest in a cell phone. There have been way too many cell phone appropriate situations this weekend.

Well, here we are safely entering Month 3. Thoughts on the past 2 months? Awesome. Korea is my kind of adventure and I haven't even left Gwangju yet. The New Car Smell hasn't worn off either and I imagine that it'll be a while before it even starts to fade. Now that I'm resolved to travel for the next 44 weekends, the adventures never have to end.

It's a good thing I haven't been wasting my money on frivolous expenses like shopping, cab fare or food. I never want to be too strapped for cash to adventure.

Predictions on the coming months?

-My food costs will go down even more until the fridge is full of water and air.
-I will see at least one new city a week until I reach burn out and take a travel break sometime around mid-june.
-I get tan by mid summer and black light sensitive again by mid september
-I make new friends and meet new people without fear.
-The apartment somehow ends up with more giant furniture.

Happy Month Three!

No comments:

Post a Comment