Friday, March 26, 2010

Korea Makes Me Feel Like a Rock Star.

Riding the 50 tonight to catch up with the boys was nothing new. The real hallmark moment was the reaction of the driver when he noticed that the only person sitting on his bus was a foreigner. The bus had just dropped off the only other passengers who had been on it and the bus pulled up to the red light. I look up and realize the bus driver is leaning over the back of his seat staring at me. Staring nothing. The man was straight up making eyes at me. He was winking up a storm and being sketchy. Uncomfortable.

It must've been the longest redlight in the whole city and he seemed to be the only bus driver unwilling to run it. I was silently cursing my memory for leaving the ipod at the office, when another bus pulls up beside us and my driver throws open the door to shout at the bus next door. I may not understand Korean 100% yet, but I recognized waygookin and pointing. I look out the window determined to ignore Mr. Sketch and sat stunned as I realized that the people on the other bus had all crowded around one side of the bus to get a look. Did I have something on my face...?

Oh wait. It was my face. Every now and again something happens to remind me that I don't exactly fit in here, but it doesn't usually bother me. It bothered me today.

We finally pulled away from the other bus and head on our way. But the adventure wasn't over, yet. It was only two more stops, but the driver was braking next to any bus that was stopped to shout and point toward the back before continuing on our way. I've never experienced such shenanigans on the 50 bus before. I had places to be and no time to do the whole sit and wave thing for 10 minutes.

I was already 20 minutes late to meet Boy's Team for Friday celebrations and I had to run to catch up with them. Yes. Real running. Now that I'm lighter, I'm way faster, but I still hate it. I showed up winded, but ready.

Speaking of things I hate (Okay, maybe not hate, but really-don't-like) who should I see standing in the middle of Boy's Team? Narky. He's not coming with us, is he? I can't very well celebrate not getting fired if the boss's brother is in attendance.

I figured it was Boy's Team's problem, so I ducked into the bank and waited for them to handle this snafu. I half-thought California would extend the invite that it was so obvious Nark was looking for, but he followed me into the bank and let Miami and New Guy deal with it. They got it done. I came out and we were on our way.

Not looking to party where we've partied before, the boys took turns leading the party towards areas we've never explored before. Miami went first. Walking behind him I was reminded of the the first time Jenn and I let him lead the way. He led us straight into a strip club. He was sober this time, I thought it might be okay.

Miami must have a sense for these places, 'cause there I was standing at the entrance to another one. California took over and led us to a fairly shade-free establishment. We were all hungry, but I was surprised when the waiter brought out something meat-free from the menu. It was only 11pm on a friday, so I was meat-free until midnight, but the boys didn't have to go meat-less...



Boys Team's a bunch of softies. These are fruit and cheese nachos. They tasted better than they sound. Thank God.




We didn't stay long at any one place, but wandered around finding several appropriate foreigner free spots. I just don't enjoy celebrating with a whole room of NorthAmericans the way I do a room of Koreans. The Korean adventures are just better.

Not that all the fun was indoors. On the way to Karaoke, Miami found a street vendor who seemed to have been kicked out of a carnival. It was one of those throw the darts, pop the balloons, win a prize things. Miami was sucking, but a few locals walked by and helped him out. He walked away with a pink neck pillow. I do believe he was mighty proud of it, too.


Then the boys played those test of strength machines they have outdoors for drunks. I don't actually think they're there for the enjoyment of the drunks, though. As a spectator, I firmly believe I had more fun.


And, finally, on to Karaoke. I had to end the night early and only made it halfway through the karaoke. The dried squid that they brought in to satisfy our snack cravings was stinking up the place and making me sick. The fact that I tried it only made it worse.

Sometimes trying new things does that. I'm still gonna do it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment