Wednesday, September 22, 2010

It Takes a Whole Day to Get to Samcheok.




First, you have to take a 4 hour bus ride from Gwangju to Seoul and then a 5 hour bus ride from Seoul to Samcheok. Am I regretting the delay? Yeah, kinda. This place is really awesome. I totally underestimated the appeal of this town. It's not just a small town to crash in near a wildly inappropriate park of sculptures. We didn't arrive in Samcheok until 6pm and we really only had time for dinner and hotel reservations.

The great thing about small towns is that they try so hard. I guess they don't get so many visitors, so they try to make the city as welcoming as possible. There is usually a tourist office around the bus terminal and this is how you can book a hotel last minute within walking distance of the bus station. These are also the people who answer your questions about where to find food during a holiday.

I think I could live in Samcheok forever and never get bored. This place has mountains, caves and beaches. There are hardly any foreigners and it's hard to find someone who speaks a lot of English. This is just the place I've been looking for. This could be my next home. I imagine it can't be that hard to get a job here. How many people even know about this hidden gem? This place is like Korea's own secret paradise.

It's a little farther north than I'm comfortable with, but I think I might go for it anyways. Samcheok. I like the sound of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment