Haeshindang is a park full of sculptures that would definitely not be allowed in America. It was built to calm the spirit of a young woman who died before her wedding day. Her fiance took her out to this rock to collect clams or something stupid and couldn't come back to retrieve her when a giant storm blew in. She ultimately drowned. After her death, all the fish in the area disappeared. So to please this woman, this incredible park was built.
Entering Haeshindang was a little awkward, I'll admit it. What kind of people frequent such places anyways? Will the Koreans think poorly of us for walking through and having a good time?
No. There were whole families in there walking around enjoying the sights. There were ajummas hugging statues and just having fun with it. There were little kids running around laughing and pointing at everything. There were people sitting on some very creative benches and a whole section for the animals of the chinese zodiac. We didn't realize how expansive that place was. It just kept going. We thought 3 hours would be enough time, but it clearly wasn't. Next time I do Samcheok, I'm going to stay for a week. Even then, I'm not sure I'll be able to see and do everything that that town has to offer. It's incredible. I have to go back.
Samcheok isn't actually close to anything, but I still wanna do it. I liked being cut off from everything like that. I really enjoyed being one of the only celebrities in town. I can't stay in Gwangju for another year. I need my next year to be full of different adventures.
The journey home was just as long as the one there yesterday, but I of course slept the whole way. We didn't get back until 2am and we all have work tomorrow. No biggie. Tomorrow's friday anyways.
No comments:
Post a Comment