Breakfast has been eggs and rice for like 3 days now. Man I miss salt. For that matter, I miss food. We're not entirely sure if we're allowed to touch the fridge or not, but I'd rather go hungry than risk it. There's usually mandarins on the table to beef up the meal, but Mr Kim went ahead and pureed them again. On its own mandarin pulp is Yuck, but today it was more like mandarin surprise. Onions. Onions was the surprise. (yeah, mom, how's that for grammar?) Not quite a broken shoelace, but not a banner start to day 3.
I figured, however, that if I was gonna get knocked down, might as well make it one hell of a fall. I know, right? Again with the optimism. When will this chick ever learn?! To be honest, I think I've laughed more in the last 7 days than I have in the last 2 years. Everything is just so ridiculous and incredible. Its hard to be upset about anything. Its almost like its TV, so theres no need to worry about what happens. Its like it has no bearing on the real world.
I'm starting to suspect I've sold my soul. I have a new personality, I accept scolding for things I know I haven't done, and I apologize ALL THE TIME. And I HATE apologizing. Not only that, but I'm living with my boss even though I was promised a home. Even worse, I have no idea if this apartment thing is ever even gonna pan out. Where did Erin Go? Obviously the Twilight Zone.
There's actually another teacher coming next week and I was telling Jenn that there's no way we can still be here then, cause where would they put him? Jenn's already on the floor. Jenn says, "Dude. They would just put him with the boys." Damn. I forgot about the boys. DUH. Oh I'm a dumdum. They can keep us here as long as they want. They've already got my soul.
Apparently I was too harsh on the mandarin surprise. The sun came out this afternoon. Thank God too. We all know how unwelcome morning sun can be. Especially if the room faces east...
Anyways, I got a redo with Kid1 and he told Ruby and her sister that I was GREAT. Yeah. Capital Letters. Thats like Tony the Tiger great. Bravo, Erin. Two points!! Better than that, I'm getting a second student tomorrow and teaching Mother-Loving Pride and Prejudice!!! Score! Pride and Prejudice I can do. Mr. Darcy is my kind of guy. I know how dangerous it is to get those hopes up too high, but how can this possibly go wrong? (I just paused to see if I could hear any thunder rolling in. We're good.)
Thats right, Ladies and Gentlemen. I, the political science major, am now a Lit teacher. Thanks, Mom. Having read more books than the average college grad has been my saving grace. I may get scolded for a lot of things, but it won't be because I've never read the book. Bank on it.
"But did she get yelled at today?"
No, she did not. Not once. I guess the mandarin surprise was my special day maker. I still get hives whenever Ruby says my name and I try not to make eye contact, but I'm starting to think I can do this. The hardest part of the day is the time I wait for the elevator to take me up to the 3rd floor. The school floor. For some reason I always get this tightness in my chest and my hands start tingling. Once the doors open up onto the 3rd floor it goes away, amazingly enough. Oh anxiety.
Jenn still has more students than me, but at least the score is starting to even out. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up with at least one of Miss Honey's classes. Miss Honey, by the way, was not so Miss Honey today. "Maybe there's something to Ruby's whole thing with her after all..." says another teacher. And no, it wasn't me who said it.
Its only 10 pm here, but I'm ready to turn in. We stayed up so late last night that I just cant even focus on the screen very well. I've gotten to the contacts sticking to the eyelids phase, so I'll wrap it up here.
I'm not real sure when we get real classes, but I'm not even really sure I want them. One student is stressful enough, and for now it looks like I'm stuck in trainee mode. I will admit it is fun sitting in on California and Miami's classes. It's nice to get teaching ideas.
No dinner yet, but I'm willing to skip it for a nice long sleep. I wonder how long til they stop giving us breakfast too...
so what does a mandarin surprise taste like? it can't be good...
ReplyDelete