So on the way out of the office yesterday, I saw the New Guy eyeing what used to be Miss Honey's desk, but had quickly become a free desk for whoever happened to grab it. Well, folks, it may not have been the most sensitive thing I've ever done, but I've been here for three weeks already and still only have a side of Jenn's desk. The first step to breaking out of the "Jenn's friend" typecast had to be the separation of my work space from hers. But how to do it tactfully. Being a tactful guy, Miami turns and says "Just walk by and put your books down. Just leave your books there and its done. Your desk." Yeah, thats tactful. Suck it, New Guy.
Seniority and all that. I hope Miss Honey's desk isn't cursed...
Four hours later, who should walk in? Mother Loving Miss Honey. Who is she looking at? This kid. I'm surprised I didn't bleed out with all the daggers she was shooting at me.
M.H.: Ruby just said that you two told her I had another job?
Even though the comment was directed at me and Jenn, I couldn't help but notice that she wasn't looking away. Since I had said no such thing and she had some seriously angry eyebrows I just sat and Blank Stared it up. Jenn took her cue.
J: No. She told us you were looking for another job.
They locked her out of her apartment because she was avoiding them. So she had to haul her butt back to the office to have someone let her into her place to get all her stuff back. A "heated discussion" ensued between HeadMistress, her sister, and Miss Honey and this kid headed off to class.
I get back just in time to hear Narky trying to convince Jenn that one of us needs to leave our laptop out and open on the living room table in the morning so that the internet guy can check the internet signal. It looked like Jenn was about to cave when she looked up at me to explain the situation. Not A Chance in HELL. I'm willing to risk a lot of things here in Korea, but not Mac Baby. He will NOT be at home on the living room table. He will be in school with me under my desk.
N: Its just to check the internet signal.
J: Uhhh... I don't know... um... I'll have to wait til Erin gets out of class and see if she wants to leave hers... Ah! Good you're here, Narky has something he wants to say to us.
Enter Erin.
N: One of you will leave your computer on the table so that the guy can install the internet and check the signal?
E: No. Absolutely not.
N: What?
E: No. I'm not leaving it at home.
N: Its okay. I'll be there so I can bring it to school with me after he checks it.
E: Not a chance. It comes with me.
Jenn, surprised that this deer in headlights could stand up and fight against Narky without fear of repercussion, finally found her voice and took over. She just kept saying "its my lifeline home, blah blah blah. Not that I can't trust you, but blah blah blah." I had no intention of EVER saying that. I don't trust him. He went into Miss Honey's apartment while she was at school one day and took pictures of all her medications so that the headmistress could look them up. He's a spy. He's a Nark. Leave Mac Baby with that? No way in Hockey sticks.
Another sour note, I just found out that The One lives in Seoul and I'm losing him in another month. HPGirl? She lives in Busan. They're actually next door neighbors right now in Gwangju. The neighbor thing is actually super convenient. They're both incredibly competitive and work their butts off to hand in their homework with the fewest mistakes. Nothing wrong with a little harmless competition, right?
But what am I going to do? I lose all my favorites on March 1.
Anyways, I got my medical clearance form back today with a passing score. As of last week, I am 5'4" and 15 lbs lighter than when I got here 2 weeks before. Quelle surprise.... not like they were feeding us or anything.
ALSO. No tuberculosis. Guess those howler monkeys at the Baboon Sanctuary were TB free after all.
When we left, Ruby and Miss Honey were still duking it out. It was 10pm and we snuck out and took a bus. Is it really sneaking? I had been there since noon.
I half thought New Guy would stop us. Even though he lent me his "air mattress" I just can't shake the nark vibe.
Then I got the "air mattress" out and inflated it. BIG let down. Not an air mattress at all. Pas du freakin tout. Its one of those things campers roll out before they unfold their sleeping bags. Don't worry, mom, I'll thank him anyway. The thought and all that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment