Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Saw it Coming

So Miss Honey got the ax today. They told her yesterday that she had until friday to get her stuff in gear and beat it, but around 3pm today they told her to clear out her desk and go. I, of course was in class, but the kids filled me in over the course of the day. The Mistress and her Sister already had it out for Miss Honey, but today she made a girl cry...?

Not having been there, I can't know the exact reason or provocation that led to this 7 year old ending up in tears, yet, but I feel like there are large pieces of the story missing. Ruby made sure to sit us all down in pairs and explain the reason Miss Honey lost her job and to explain that her, Ruby's, only fault in the whole thing was trusting this woman to come all the way to their school and be a good teacher. Ruby has, afterall, given her a number of chances and Miss Honey has failed every test.

I'll have to wait til a weekend, probably, to gather all the information from the other teachers about the exact order of today's events. Since they live with Nark, its pretty hard to have an open conversation with them unless we're all sitting in the same room outside the school.

While they were watching a real live Korean soap, I was sitting in a near perfect lesson with The One. Ten pages of homework, ladies and gentlemen, TEN. Approximately 200 questions and only 2 mistakes. Silly mistakes, too. He misread "women" as "woman" and used the wrong verb conjugation and then misspelled "starring." Thats it. In an effort to be modest, I won't take all the credit for that, but I'll go ahead and voice what we're all thinking. Erin is an english grammar teacher the likes of which Korea has never seen before.

Worth missing today's drama play out? I think so.


A new teacher arrived on sunday and has been running through his training in high speed since yesterday. He's occupying the room we only just vacated in the Kims' place which must be the reason why they moved us into an apartment without any furniture as well as the guiding force behind Miss Honey's untimely dismissal.

I believe Miss Honey had a hand in training her replacement, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment