Sunday, January 31, 2010

One Full Month of Life in the Future.







Today we voted against staying in the apartment and decided to hit up old downtown. We grabbed the bus we thought would most probably get us there (48) and headed on out. Having no concept of how far it might be or any idea of what we were looking for, you'd probably consider this quite the risky maneuver. Add in our inability to communicate effectively or read Korean and you've got an equation that leads to potential fun. Risky? Maybe. But why not?

Old Downtown? We didn't find it, but, as tends to happen, we found something pretty great instead. The U Culture Complex was the closest thing we've found to a mall all month. Who even knew it was there? This is where you can find the imax movie theatre, Coldstone Creamery, american makeup, Dior, and, yes, the TGIFridays. Nachos!

We wandered around for a few hours instead of trying to figure out the movie ticket machine. We tried it out. No go. As we headed back to the bus stop we saw a vending machine with all kinds of crazy new things to try. Jenn went for Grapé Juice and I took a shot in the dark and went for Pine Bud Drink. Pine? Oh, man, this is gonna taste just like Christmas!! I could hardly contain my excitement long enough to take a picture of it before popping the can open and having a taste. Yup. Just like Christmas. That is, if Christmas involved tree licking. I might've drank the blood of a tree. GROSS. Lesson learned. Pine Bud Drink = no es bueno. We caught the bus successfully and headed on home.


So, Ladies and Gentlemen, here we are. We have reached the end of Month One here in the Future. Thirty one days of crazy cake fun and surprises rockin down in KTown.

Let's sum it up a bit, now. We arrived, met the teachers, lived with the bosses, went to school, became teachers, befriended Koreans, figured out the bus route to school, and learned how to say "Thank you" (kahm sah hahm nee dah), "I'm sorry" (me en ham nee dah), "good bye" (anyung hee keh seh yo) and Pig Meat (Dewedgi gogi).

THEN, we got an apartment, Jenn got a bed, Jenn got a chest of drawers. Erin is furniture-less and sleeping at the foot of Jenn's bed. No, not really. I am a human. She's graciously offered halvsies on her bed til my guy shows up.

I eat spicy ramen everyday, because it's the only thing I never mess up and drink 2L of green tea a day. Apparently the water's not safe to drink. I boil it. It's safe enough.

That should bring us all up to speed.

Sooo, predictions for the upcoming 11 months? I feel a scolding coming late in the second month and a hiking trip early in the 3rd. The 4th and 5th will blend together as one with another 10kgs dropped and months 5,6 and 7 are going to be super tan. A Tokyo trip sometime in there too, and a Christmas spent without California.

By then, I'm sure we'll be tired of him anyway so no need to worry about it just yet.

Final thoughts on Month One in Korea? No biggie. This, I can do. Another 11? Bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment