Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I Keep Wondering If We've Fully Adjusted Yet.

When I started my first day of school over at Old School, California said something that I had, at the time, found very reassuring. It was after the yelling phone call, but before the last scolding I got that day.

"They treat all the new teachers like this. I think it's just their way of breaking you in. They did this to the teachers before us, too, and they really loved all of them. It will get better, but, yeah, there's a definite hump you have to get over."

I just kept thinking if we could only get over that hump it'll all be smooth sailing. Even now, I'm not sure if we're over it or not. Once you're over it, do you stop walking around on eggshells? Can you start expressing real opinions? Does the hump end when they hand you the keys to the school? Or is that just another test?

Will there be a definitive end to this hump thing? At first, I figured I could just judge how long it would last by how long they treated California this way. The dude does have 4 weeks on us, but he seems to just encounter more test periods. Maybe it never ends. Maybe they just love you at the end of it all...

Ruby was at school just long enough to make sure that both Jenn and I had arrived and then headed out, leaving us with Narky all day. It had the potential to be a bad day, but I'm a big fan of flattery.

"Oh, Erin! You lose a lot weight!"

Thanks for noticing, Nark, yes I have. Korean food and stairs are truly awesome. That, and your sister didn't feed us for the first two weeks. That was just the kick in the pants that my metabolism needed.

Yay, Korea.

1 comment:

  1. Yayy congrats on losing weight... I've been stalking your pictures on Facebook too and you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete