Monday, August 30, 2010

Maybe I Can't Be Fired.

I missed the first half hour of my first class today. Incredible, right? I was at work a half hour early and got wrapped up in trying to catch up on everything, only to have Shadow come in at 2:25 and say, "Hey you got kids sitting in your class right now." I couldn't believe I let myself sink so completely into autopilot that I forgot I had to teach. Eight months ago, this would most certainly have sent me home.

And why did they just sit in there for so long without asking someone where their teacher was? Why didn't Narky do his usual nosy bit and alert me that I was slipping up? Class started 45 seconds ago?

Not that this is anyone's fault but my own. I've definitely lost focus lately. I have to make lists throughout the day to keep track of what needs to be done and what's already been accomplished and teaching is just not on those lists. I'm losing it.

And my Sunflower Class informed me that the class will be split in half on Wednesday. It's gotten 3 new students since I got it from Tooly and we no longer fit in any of the normal sized classrooms. Guess Ruby's tired of me messing up the board in her big grammar classroom. She hasn't mentioned the new class distribution, but I suspect she'll spring it on me wednesday a half hour before class. Whatever. As long as the class gets smaller- not bigger- I don't care.

Especially since she just handed me a new student. I was sitting in the Teachers' Lounge complaining to my roommate about the fact that I have no time to do anything and she had no classes all day, and suddenly another girl walks in.

"I'm starting classes here tomorrow, I'm looking for Erin?"
"Me? You're starting a class with me?"
"If you're Erin, then yes. Are there any books that I need?"
"Ummm... Did Ruby happen to mention when your class will be?"
"No, but I'm in 8th grade and she said you're my teacher."
I guessed and handed over books, "Ask Ruby if these are the ones she wants."

Something I never would've done had I been firing on full brain power. NEVER hand your books to students. Ruby will just assume it's okay to give them to the student until the next class. There goes any chance of accomplishing your work before class. It's gonna be another late night tomorrow.

Oh. And I have to come in early to teach that 30 minutes I missed this morning. I'm ready for September.

No comments:

Post a Comment