We have been trying to be discreet about drinking water out of the bathroom sink, but yesterday when we got back from the store I manned up and went to explore the kitchen. I was on a mission to find cups and hit a snag when Plan A (Check cabinets by the sink) failed and resulted in Plan B (Check the other 23 cabinets). As luck would have it, I only had to check 16 before I found some mugs. I filled them up and brought them back to the room where Jenn just had to comment on how shady it was that I went snooping in the kitchen opening all the cabinets while they were away. Well if they had been there the mission wouldve been totally unnecessary, of course, but made me paranoid none the less. Will they notice if 2 cups go missing? Maybe. They dont have that many I guess. Oh man! They'll definitely notice! We have to put them back! So we downed the water and I made my way back to the kitchen to wash the cups and place them back into the cabinet where I found them.
Later, when Mr. Kim told us he would see us in the morning, (right after we found out dinner was 'fend for yourself') he called Jenn over to show her which cabinet had the cups. I was already back in the bedroom when Jenn came back in to deliver the message and I was immediately suspicious. Out of 24 cabinets, why did he only point out the cups cabinet? Did he somehow know I had been opening all his cabinets just 4 hours earlier? I started to suspect there may be some surveillance going on... When I went out later to get a cup he rushed to introduce me to the cups cabinet and, just in case, I admitted that I had found it earlier.
Today our breakfast of bread, jam, 2 eggs (uncooked) and rice were sitting on the table for us to make ourselves. No problem. When called upon, I can be quite skilled in the art of Microwave . But what's this?! All the buttons were in Korean and not laid out in your typical 1-9 setup. I pressed the first button and 3 minutes went up on the clock. While waiting for the microwave to do its thing, I started to wonder where one might hide a nanny cam in their home. In that picture frame, perhaps? Inside that lamp shade? Or maybe inside one of the buttons on this microwave...
Lunch ended up being whatever we had left over from breakfast: 6 slices of bread and jam.
When it started to snow we went out onto the enclosed veranda to take pictures and in her peripheral vision, Jenn caught sight of a dome on the ceiling. It was a smaller version of the kind you might find in a store to house security cameras. A quick search led to the discovery of 2 other camera domes; one to watch the baby grand piano, one scoping out the kitchen and the other one the living room and enclosed veranda.
I feel like I'm on Big Brother. This led to a whole new realm of questions: are we being videotaped or perhaps a live feed? Is it video only or audio as well? Is there a smaller more discreet model somewhere in our room? The book shelf? That desk lamp could disguise a nanny cam... does it even turn on? ... yes. Inside that potted plant? Of course! Whats a teenage boy doing with a live plant in his room?! I went ahead and watered the plant. Smoke out the bug.
Are we being a touch paranoid?
Who's to say.
Honestly, I really think you should be a travel writer. I see know reason why you couldn't entertain millions of people with your words. You do a hell of a good job keeping me laughing! Keep up the good posting. I fully expect at least 1 post a week. :-)
ReplyDeleteI agree with being a travel writer! Lauren, I think we should secretly submit her work to Frommer's Travel Guides ;)
ReplyDeleteOn a side note, all I could think of when you wrote about your breakfast was showing you how to make scrambled eggs in the microwave. haha.