Monday, July 12, 2010

The Counter Teacher Runs When She Gets to the Hallway, too.

She rounds the corner and takes off at a sprint. It's amazing. I can't even walk all that quickly until my shoes are all the way tied and she takes off like her 4 inch heels are on fire. So it's customary then, eh? Nothing like a good run after work to really start the night off on a high note.

Cause you know that if you try walking they're gonna chase you down and remember something they forgot to tell you. Nothing ends a tolerable work day like being handed an assignment they may not even remember in the morning.

I shouldn't say "tolerable." I still love my job. My classes are all going well and I enjoy the little shots of self esteem my kids deliver throughout the day. I love hearing my kids work their butts off for Walmart stickers. I was worried today that Ruby would overhear and misunderstand what was happening in my classroom. It would be hard to figure out what was going on if you weren't hanging out at the school for the last 3 weeks.

"Erin Teacher is very beautiful."
"Erin Teacher is very beautiful and very smart."
"Erin Teacher is very beautiful and very smart and very skinny."
"Erin Teacher is very beautiful and very smart and very very skinny and very... tall."

See? You can't really figure out what's going on, can you? Well. My kids get one sticker for every 5 perfect sentences they make. They also know that sometimes I let grammar mistakes slide if they are using their vocab in their sentences. The last couple of weeks have been adjective weeks.

Today we learned comparisons.

"Erin Teacher is taller than Ruby Teacher."
"Erin Teacher is smarter than Tooly Teacher."
"Erin Teacher is nicer than Shadow Teacher."

Not all of their sentences start with me, but they hope that flattery will get them that much closer to the stickers. They love the ones that have English on them.

I wonder if American students would be as enthusiastic about EMart stickers with Korean characters on them...

No comments:

Post a Comment