Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Oh Man. So Much for Budgets.

We started with a jewelry appreciation class about pearls and diamonds and it didn't take long for me to realize how much I didn't know about these two things. I never imagined there were so many questions I should be asking before buying pearls and diamonds. I am resolved to never buy either of these items ever. For my whole life. Never.

I found out that the jade that you find out in the markets isn't real jade. I don't know what makes jade real or fake, so I bought a piece of real jade for myself at the respectable jewelers and bought fake jade for everyone else. No need for anyone to know it's not "real." Oops. Guess the secret's out.


Where does one find fake jade? At the markets of course.

We began our tour of the markets with the flower market and wrapped things up with the night market.


Flower Market:
There were tons of orchids and it was really beautiful. Everything (except the death flowers (lilies)) smelled wonderful and it was a shame we couldn't buy anything. No way it'd get through customs. We also saw some funky tube things I think I recognise from a venus fly trap book I used to read when I was younger.

Bird Market:
Some of the birds were really pretty, but the place smelled. A lot.

Street Market:
This was the coolest place ever. You could buy souvenirs in the form of clothes or knick knacks, silk or knock-offs. They had things that were unique to Hong Kong and things from around the world. And, of course, Fake Jade. I bought a purse here and the newest addition to the seahorse game. I'm pleased with all of my purchases.

Goldfish Market:
This was just a street of pet stores. Some fluffy, some fishy. Tons of awesome fish and tiny turtles. This is where you can buy a whole bag of fish for 1 dollar. So any time all the fish in the fish tank die, Justin can just come here and fill it back up again. Super cheap.

Ladies' Market:
More souvenirs. Starting to get tired.

Missed Jade Market and all the Fake Jade. It closes at 6pm. Lame. We'll try again another day. Bought Fake Jade at the other markets, anyway.

Night Market:
I'm tired. And I spent too much money. I tried dragon fruit juice. Not a fan.

Souvenir shopping almost done. Only person left now is Dad.

And me, of course. Never too many for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment