Monday, June 7, 2010

Another Mindlessless Task.

I swear this woman better start teaching again, 'cause she has way too much free time. Vocabulary lists, 30 words per class. Now I know that vocabulary is an important part of teaching, but there just aren't that many words that my advanced kids don't know. My kids ask if they don't understand and I'll ask them about words I think they don't know. Now I'm supposed to be giving them 30 word vocab lists and that's just a waste of everyone's time. There are maybe a half dozen words each class that I have to explain. I already stay late, what is she doing? Sooner of later these kids are just going to decide that enough is enough. Presentations every week, 60 questions a night, an essay every weekend and now vocab tests. This is a hagwon. It takes me 2 hours to write up the homework and I'm fluent. I can only imagine how much time these kids spend on my homework.

She's crazy. I have to continually remind myself of that.

R: "You have class right now? They need an interview! What should we do?"
E: "I have a class. Her class started 5 minutes ago."
R: "But all the foreign teachers are in class. Can ivleague do an interview? What should I do?"

How 'bout stop scheduling ish without looking at you calendar? How's that for sound advice?

My advanced kids always laugh when they overhear these exchanges. I guess she is really as ridiculous as I've always believed. Her crazy just means the kids listen to what I say before they listen to her. In the old school, every kid treated Ruby as if she were God. In this school, they don't fear her. They just see her as this woman who sits outside the door and yells if she sees you in the hall. But she doesn't have any real power. What she says doesn't really mean anything. If she says you need to re-write your homework, who cares? She'll just forget about it over the weekend anyway. Better to just wait and see what Erin Teacher has to say about it.

At least it was thundering again. Thunderstorms during school are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment