Saturday, June 26, 2010

Nope. Not Pub Talk.

We actually did it. We hopped a morning bus headed for Seoul after a night of partying. The bus seats were so uncomfortable, it's a wonder anyone could ever sleep in one. Or so the boys say. I slept the whole way. It was wonderful. I have a gift.

We couldn't check into our hostel until 3pm so we had to find something to occupy the rest of our morning. Greek lunch was the answer. First order of business was hopping the metro out to the hostel to drop off some stuff and then moving onto Itaewon for some excellent gyros. Not quite up to snuff, but not bad for being made outside of Cyprus.

The first thing California did was get himself stuck in the Metro doors. He was the last one on and I turned around to see him standing with his back to the door. They had caught him in between his back and his bag and he was just standing there. I guess he still hadn't recovered. "I can't even touch this right now." He seemed totally resigned to just wait until the metro got to the next stop to free himself. I took one look at the situation and laughed my face off. It beat Angela's hand in the elevator by a long shot. New Guy was just staring as if that would help. Not that I was any better. My laughter was filling up the whole car and Cali was still standing there stuck, like this is the fate of the rest of my day. Stuck in the metro door.

Lucky for him, metros don't take off if the doors aren't closed properly. It was just the kind of pick me up I needed. Good morning.

Unfortunately New Guy's girls weren't in town, but I'm hoping that our demonstration of "just go" was enough motivation. Maybe he saw that it can be done. Going to Seoul is easy.

After Greek, we headed hostel ways to nap it off and woke up just in time for Korea's World Cup Game. Their final one this year, sadly. World Cup fun is over here. But watching it at the Mexican place was pretty awesome. The best part of going to Seoul is eating all of the food you can't get in Gwangju.

The ride back to the hostel was mostly uneventful, but near the end, I noticed the guys in the other car swatting mosquitos. The boys and I were chuckling at such foolishness, when I happened to look up and see that the ceiling of our car was covered. Cali didn't take his eyes off the ceiling for the rest of the ride. He started scratching as if they were biting him. Which made several other people in the car scratch as well. The power of suggestion: crossing barriers both cultural and lingual.

Even though I had slept away the afternoon, I fell into bed and passed right out once we got to the Guest House. And yes, I did manage to sleep through the night. I told you. I have a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment